Home

Parish Information

The History of Bodenham
Photographs of Bodenham
Local Information & Maps
Find Us
Local Amenities & Attractions
Local Walks
Local Services & Useful Links
Notice Boards
Future Events
Parish Newsletters
Parish Plan
Neighbourhood Plan
Parish Council Documents
BFPG Documents

Parish Council

Welcome
Members
Events
Freedom of Information
Code of Conduct
Standing Orders
Data Protection
Council Documents

Bodenham Flood
Protection Group

Welcome
History
Committee/Key Contacts
Events and Meetings
BFPG Documents
Photographs

Parish Hall

Welcome
Committee
Facilities and Rates
Regular Activities
Events

Local Businesses

Local Businesses

Clubs and Societies

Clubs and Societies

Local Charities

Charities

Bodenham Chapel

Bodenham Chapel

Bodenham Church

Welcome to St Michael's and All Angels Church
The History of the Church
List of Services
Special Events

Bodenham School

St Michael's Church of England Primary School

Herefordshire Wildlife Trust Notice

THE QUEENSWOOD HERITAGE GATEWAY PROJECT

At February’s meeting of the Bodenham Gardening Club a talk was given by Rose Farrington of the Herefordshire Wildlife Trust about the current Queenswood Heritage Gateway Project which is running until October 2019.

Part funded by the Heritage Lottery Fund, the history of Queenwood is being researched. The wood is thought to originate from ancient woodland which originally reached across into Wales. During the 18th century it become part of the Hampton Court Estate and records show that it was a managed woodland, producing income for at least two centuries.

Everything changed during WW1 when all the timber was felled for the war effort. There is one surviving oak tree which is thought to be 150 years old. As the area was now no longer viable for income it was threatened to be built upon for holiday bungalows. The Campaign to Protect Rural England stepped in with a public appeal and bought the land in 1934. More funding became available in 1935 as a Memorial of the Silver Jubilee of George V and the land handed over to Hereford County Council for public use.

By 1945 the trees were regenerating, and it was decided to start replant the central section as an arboretum. In 1953, to celebrate the Coronation of Queen Elizabeth, a further appeal supported more planting and the area became “Queenswood”. A further funding appeal in 1987 resulted in the relocation of two historic local timber framed buildings to preserve them from demolition. These are now the shop and café by the parking area.

Under the care of the Wildlife Trust today, the woodland will be sustainably managed whilst encouraging an increase in flora and fauna diversity. Plans are for a WW1 Commemorative Woodland designed by Des Hughes as a visual artwork.

A celebration event is being planned for this autumn.


Date: 05/03/2019

Freedom of Information | Terms | Accessibility

Website by Alpha Web Design